Consumer vs Commercial Displays
When deciding whether or not you should choose a consumer display over a commercial display (or vice versa), don't make the mistake of only looking at price. While the two types of displays may look similar, there are pretty significant differences lying under the surface.
At its core, a commercial digital display is similar to a flat panel tv, but is typically much heavier as it is built for heavy use, high heat (for restaurants) and corrosion resistance (for example, subway kiosks). Because they are intended for this type of use, they're typically built with much higher quality materials, whereas consumer displays are often built with materials that result in lower costs. Commercial displays are also built for network connectivity and remote troubleshooting, which a less expensive consumer display would not have. The important takeaway is that using a consumer grade display in a commercial setting voids the warranty. Consumer displays just aren’t built for the type of grueling daily punishment that commercial displays can handle.
- Designed for limited daily use in home environment.
- Mostly HDMI inputs available. Limited connectivity.
- Typically no RS232 control. If it is present, generally it is limited to on/off and input switching.
- No way to lock infrared (IR) inputs or lock down mode.
- Restricted to landscope mode.
- Limited warranty, over the counter only.
- Voided or limited warranty period in commercial installations.
- Built with commercial grade components for heavy duty usage.
- Built to run from 16 to 24 hours per day
- Much greater connectivity options
- Built-in cooling systems protect hardware
- Full RS232 control
- IR and remote lock out
- Portrait mode capability
- Built in video wall processors
- Integrated digital signage platforms available in many units
- PC add-on unit options
- 2 to 3 year on-site warranties
Check out our selection of Digital Signage and Large Screen Displays.
Top Commercial Display and Digital Signage Manufacturers
If you’ve followed the AV industry for the last few years, you will have certainly noticed the growth of large display and digital signage products year-over-year. Manufacturers are creating standard wall-mount 40 to 90 inch large screen displays to 4K portrait signage used in retail to full-scale video walls. Since our parent company, AVI-SPL, is the largest AV integrator in the United States, we have great insight into the top (and best) manufacturers of digital signage today.
- LG Electronics - digital signage made simple for single use applications to multi-display locations
- NEC - commercial displays for business, retail, restaurants
- Panasonic - HD and 4K professional displays
- Peerless - leading the way in outdoor, weatherproof display technology
- Sharp - #1 selling brand of large format commercial displays over 55” w/ touch technology
- Sony - easy integration with existing Sony gear (perfect for churches, schools, etc)
Still have questions?
Need additional assistance? Our experts are available to answer any questions you might have and help you find the perfect display solution for your environment. Give us a call at 1-888-248-0675 or chat with us online today!